Work Awards and Events
O. Wayne Rollins Work Awards
Each spring the Berry College Student Work Office holds the annual O. Wayne Rollins Work Awards program. This program recognizes students who have demonstrated the ability and willingness to go the “extra mile” in service to Berry, their department and the community.
All students nominated for a Rollins Award receive certificates to communicate our appreciation for the contributions that students make in the operation of Berry College. From the nominees, the Student Work Office selects a male and female worker to receive the Chief Moore Awards. Chief Moore recipients receive $150 and a plaque honoring their achievement.
Nominations should be submitted for junior and senior students who have goneabove and beyond the normal expectations of the work program. These should be the students who work the hardest and have the most responsibilities within a department.
John R. Bertrand Award
At Berry, student workers forge a deep bond with their work supervisors. The John R. Bertrand Superior Work Supervisor Award goes to the faculty or staff member who best meets the following criteria:
- Teaches exemplary work skills and ethics.
- Encourages and responds to student contributions in a manner that fosters participation and creative expression.
- Serves as a role model whom students will respect and seek to emulate.
- Serves as a mentor and counselor to students.
- Stimulates the development of self confidence in students.
- Advises students on personal and career interests.
Bertrand recipients receive a plaque and a check for $1000.
Past winners: Brenda Jenkins (2010-2011); Ginger Swann, Athletic Training (2009-2010); Andrea Jones, Horticulture (2008-2009); Pam Smith, Advancement (2007-2008); and James Terrell, Mountain Grounds (2006-2007). A full list of Bertrand recipients is available on the plaque outside the Dean of Students Office in Hermann Hall.