Hardware and Software Standards Policy
The standard operating system is Windows 7 for PC and OS X 10.5 or 10.6 for MAC. The standard suite of software installed on Berry College computers is fully supported by OIT. The suite consists of Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook (Windows Systems) / Entourage (Macintosh
Systems), and Forefront Antivirus (Windows systems).
Employees needing software other than the standard centrally supported software must request such software from the Director of User Support. Each request will be considered on a case-by-case basis in conjunction with the software-purchasing section of this policy. The standard hardware
configuration for college computers is fully supported by User Support. Employees needing computer hardware other than the standard hardware must request such hardware from the Director. Each request will be considered on a case-by-case basis in conjunction with the
hardware-purchasing section of this policy.
- No equipment may be connected to the college network without permission from OIT.
- All software including operating systems should be approved by and INSTALLED by OIT A+ Certified personnel.
- The computer name, administrator account(s), and system settings shall not be changed on Berry owned computers.
- If a computer has been upgraded and/or altered by someone other than OIT, or equipment added to the network that causes follow-up repair work, a per hour fee of $50 may be charged at the discretion of OIT.
- Non-Berry College support sources are generally not approved for hardware and software support. Any charges (unless previously approved by OIT) submitted for payment for outside support will not be reimbursed by the college.
- Computers which fall below the minimum standards for the college are allotted a 30 minute service call at no charge. If the computer in question requires more time to repair or if it requires replacement hardware/software, a per hour fee of $50 will also
apply. The department to which the computer is assigned will be given the opportunity to decide whether or not to proceed with the work order beyond the 30 minute service call.
- A per hour fee of $50 will be charged to set up and/or upgrade technology equipment not purchased through OIT.