For purposes of determining the extent to which the college is reaching its goals, students are expected to participate in the assessment process required of institutions of higher education. Assessment activities may include, but not be restricted to, exit examinations in the area of one's major (see Berry College Catalog,Requirements of Undergraduate Degrees, item 16), opinion surveys, focus-group interviews and other forms of evaluation. The director of institutional research, in coordination with the deans of schools, will notify students when these evaluations are to be completed.
Senior Exit Exams
Graduating seniors are required to complete an examination/assessment in their major field area of study during their last semester at Berry, as stated in the Berry College Undergraduate Catalog (2009-2011 online catalog, item 16; or 2011-2012 online catalog, Requirements of Undergraduate Degrees, Major/Minor Requirements, item 6; 2013 online catalog, Degree Requirements, Major/Minor Requirements, item 6). The test date is pre-determined and is listed in the Berry College Undergraduate Catalog. Test dates are also included on the IR Calendar page of the institutional research website. Students with double majors will need to schedule an individual testing time for the second test with the
assistant director of institutional research
Students in the following majors will complete the
Major Field Test
(MFT) from the Educational Testing Service.
- Accounting (Business MFT)
- Biology (all concentrations)
- Dual-Degree Engineering (
Physics MFT or Capstone Course at Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Dual-Degree Nursing (
Biology MFT or Capstone Course at Emory University)
- International Business (Business MFT)
- International Studies (Political Science MFT)
- Management (Business MFT)
- Marketing (Business MFT)
- Political Science (Political Science MFT)
Students in the following majors will complete the Area Concentration Achievement Test (ACAT) exam.
Students in the following majors will complete the American Chemical Society's Diagnostic of Undergraduate Chemistry Knowledge (DUCK) exam.
Students in the following majors will complete the Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators (GACE). NOTE: Mathematics Education majors are required to complete both the GACE and the Major Field Test from ETS.
- Art Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Mathematics Education (plus Mathematics Major Field Test)
- Middle-Grades Education
- Music Education (plus senior project)
- Secondary Education (also requires exit exam for first major)
Students in the following Majors will complete the Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI) Exit Exam and a Critical Thinking Exam.
Students in the following majors will complete a departmental examination.
- Animal Science
- Environmental Science (all concentrations)
- Exercise Science
Students in the following majors will complete a senior project/examination/capstone course.
- Creative Writing
- Communication (all concentrations)
- English (all concentrations)
- Exercise Science
- Interdisciplinary Studies (Capstone Project in major area of study
- Music (all concentrations)
- Religion and Philosophy (all concentrations)
- Sociology and Anthropology (all concentrations)