A number of students are selected for admission each year for grades K-8. Student candidates must demonstrate good academic potential, grade level readiness, and appropriate social/behavioral skills. Commitment to educational excellence is also important.
In order to assure the greatest possible continuity within Berry College's laboratory school programs, preferential consideration is given to the following applicants:
- Students currently enrolled in the Berry College Child Development Center.
- Children of parents currently employed as faculty or staff at the college.
- Siblings of students already enrolled at BCEMS.
In addition, special consideration is given to maintain gender and racial balance in the school. Also, date of application is a significant factor in determining admission status. Minimum age guidelines are as follows:
- Kindergarten: entering students should be five years old prior to September 1.
- First grade: entering students should be six years old prior to September 1.
How to Apply
Prospective students considering BCEMS for a new school year (August enrollment) are encouraged to complete the admission process in January and February.
Applications will be considered from prospective students who are considering mid-year enrollment. Rolling admissions depends on availability of openings as well as balance in already established learning environments.
All applicants, regardless of grade level, must complete the following before an admissions decision is issued:
- An accurate and complete BCEMS Application including a $25 application fee.
- A parent tour and interview.
- An academic skills assessment and behavioral evaluation completed at BCEMS.
- A recommendation from the prospective student's current teacher (if applicable).
- A review of current school records (grade reports, standardized testing, disciplinary history, examples of student work, etc.).
- A BCEMS Admission Committee recommendation.
Please contact Lynne Manna, Admissions Director, to request additional information and an application, and/or to schedule time to visit with us (BCEMS Office 706-236-2242).
Kindergarten Admission Process
Important timelines for applying to BCEMS Kindergarten are as follows:
- September 1st through November 30th - Early applications are accepted from Berry College Child Development Center students, siblings of current BCEMS students, and children of Berry College Faculty/Staff. All parent tours, interviews, and student visits must be completed prior to December 1st to be considered under the early admission policy.
- December 1st - Open application period begins for Kindergarten admission. Early admission policies no longer apply.
Timeline and advice for considering and applying to BCEMS Kindergarten:
- Plan to consider all school options during the fall before your child will begin kindergarten the following August.
- Contact Lynne Manna, Admissions Director, to arrange a time to visit BCEMS.
- Visit all school options to find the one that is a good match for your child and your family's educational goals.
- Complete our BCEMS Application. Return it along with your $25 application fee to the BCEMS Office while keeping in mind importance of date of application.
- A convenient morning for your child to complete his or her admission visit will be scheduled once we receive your completed application.
- Admission decisions for Early Applications are made prior to the holiday break in December. Admission decisions for Open Applications are made on a rolling basis. Decisions are made by the Admissions Committee with every consideration for your child's best interests. Kindergarten applicants may be offered admission, offered a waiting list status pending an opening, or deferred if we believe another year will help with readiness skills (social, behavioral, emotional, physical, cognitive, and personal).