The Berry College Forensics UnionParticipation in Forensics Competition
Through intercollegiate speech competitions, Forensics team members learn advanced communication and research skills.
- An average of 15-20 students participate consistently with the Forensics Union.
- Participating students attend weekly practice sessions with speech coaches.
- Categories of speaking competition include informative, persuasive, after-dinner, debate, extemporaneous, impromptu, literary interpretation, and rhetorical criticism.
- The team competes in 10 to 12 tournaments each academic year.
- The opportunity to participate and scholarship opportunities are open to students of any major.
Forensic Team Results
- Berry has produced two national champions in the Interstate Oratory Competition—in 1994 and 2009.
- Berry has produced 27 national champions at Novice Nationals during the past 10 years.
- Berry has produced 20 finalists at the NFA national tournament during the last 16 years, including NFA’s top speaker in 1994 and 2004.
- Berry has produced 14 state champions in persuasion during the past 15 years.
- Berry’s Forensics team averages over 120 individual awards each year at regional and national tournaments. Forensics Union Alumni
- Berry College has twice hosted the largest intercollegiate national forensic tournament (NFA)—in 2002 and 2007.
For more information, contact Dr. Randy Richardson, director of forensics and lecturer of communication at 706-236-2214 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sampling of trophies awarded to Berry Forensics team members.