Why German is 4U
10 Reasons for Learning German
(1) (jur`man): (N.)-A language spoken by 120
million people or a quarter of all Europeans as their mother tongue
— German is thus the most commonly spoken language in the EU. And 38% of
all European citizens say they can converse in German
(2) Germany is the world’s largest exporter — It is
the major force behind the European Union.
(3) 18% of the world’s books are published in
(4) Germany is home to numerous international
corporations. And at the same time m ore than 1,100 companies of
German-speaking countries have subsidiaries in the U.S.
(5) German is no harder to learn to speak and write
than other languages. German is the heritage of Albert Einstein,
Eberhard Anheuser, Babe Ruth, Sandra Bullock, Arnold Schwarzenegger,
Leonardo Di Caprio, Walter Percy Chrysler, Joseph Pulitzer, Marlene
Dietrich, Henry Kissinger, Clark Gable and Elvis Presley
(6) Most commonly used language on the Internet
(7) German is the second-most commonly used
scientific language. 40% of scientists in the U.S.A. recommend the study
(8) German is the language of Goethe, Nietzsche and
Kafka. Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and Freud also spoke German.
(9) Speaking and understanding German will deepen
your knowledge of the culture and improve your employment opportunities.
Germany is the fifth largest trading partner of the U.S. after Canada,
Japan, Mexico and China.
(10) Learning German provides deeper insights into a
region that plays a vital role in central Europe’s intellectual and
economic life and in its cultural history.
For more information visit the Goethe-Institut.