Berry College Chemistry Department Cheminar Series
Each year the Berry College Chemistry Department hosts outside speakers to come to Berry and talk about their experiences in the field of Chemistry. The Fall Cheminar series focuses on hosting faculty from Universities with graduate school programs. These faculty members talk about their research and what it is like to be a graduate student at their institutions. The Spring Cheminar series focuses on speakers from the chemical industry who talk about the type of jobs available for majors upon graduation. Chemistry majors are encouraged to attend the luncheons following the Cheminar to talk further with the speaker and inquire more about their experiences. Cheminar speakers are an invaluable source of information about what chemists do!
Fall 2013 Cheminars
- September 13, 2013, Kennesaw State University, "Masters Programs at Kennesaw State University"
- October 11 2013, Dr. Margaret Johnston, University of Alabama-Birmingham, "Biomolecular Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy"
- November 1, 2013, Dr. Ben Xue, University of Tennessee Knoxville, "TBA"
Spring 2013 Cheminars
- February 14, 2013, Dr. Chris Dockery, Kennesaw State University, "Masters Program at Kennesaw State University"
- March 14, 2013, Mr. Klin Rodrigues, AkzoNobel Surface Chemistry, "Hybrid Polymers"
- March 22, 2013, Dr. Doug Carter, KaMin LLC, "Environmental Issues and Industrial Chemistry"
- November 7, 2012, Dr. Mark Turlington, Vanderbilt University, "Development of non-MPEP Site mGluR5 PAMs as a Treatment for Schizophrenia"
- November 6, 2012, Dr. Rebecca Alexander, Wake Forest University, "Biochemical and Computational Analysis of Protein Dynamics"
- November 5, 2012, Dr. Laura Rowe, Eastern Kentucky University, "Expanding the Genetic Code to Include Optically Fluctuating Fluorophores"
- October 25, 2012, Dr. Anita Mattson, Ohio State University, "Hydrogen Bonding Donor Catalysis"
- September 27, 2012, Dr. Chiquito Crasto, The University of Alabama-Birmingham, "Computational Assessments of Olfactory Receptor-Odorant Interactions"
- March 12, 2012, Ms. JoAnn Arceneaux, Cytek Industries, title TBA
- February 23, 2012, Mr. Adam Kase, Berry chemistry alumnus and employee of Lewis Chemicals, title TBA
- January 19, 2012, Ms. Stephanie Bettis, Berry chemistry alumnus and chemistry graduate student at UNC Chapel Hill, "Energy Transfer in Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells
- September 22, 2011, Samantha Adkins Radford (Berry Chemistry Alumnus), Emory University, "Pesticide Degradation in Beverages and Implications for Public Health"
- October 13, 2011, Dr. John Vincent, University of Alabama, "Recent Advances in the Nutritional Biochemistry of Chromium(III)"
- November 15, 2011, Dr. Karin Musier-Forsyth, Ohio State University, "Characterization of Host Cell-HIV Protein-RNA Interactions as Novel Antiviral Targets"
- April 28, 2011, Dr. Mark Williams, Northeastern University, "Mechanochemistry of DNA Binding: A View with Optical Tweezers"
- April 1, 2011, Dr. William Gmeiner, Wake Forest University, "Development of FdUMP Therapeutic Polymers for Cancer Treatment"
- February 10, 2011, Dr. Daniel Goebbert, University of Alabama, "Electronic Structure via Photoelectron Imaging"
- November 11, 2010, Dr. Renee Hayslett, Mercer University, "What's a 'depressed' rat? Using animal models to study drugs and behavior"
- September 23, 2010, Dr. Kara Bren, University of Rochester, “NMR and FRET Studies of Cytochrome c Folding and Dynamics”
- October 28, 2010, Dr. John Bartmess, University of Tennessee, “Chemistry in the Gas Phase: Why Bother with Solvent?”
- April 16, 2010, Laurel V. Mason, Analytical Forensic Associates, "Solving Arson Crimes in the Analytical Laboratory"
- March 4, 2010, Dr. Paul B. Jones, Wake Forest University, "Photochemistry and Photobiology in Marine Organisms"
- January 28, 2010, Dr. Lindsey O. Davis, Berry College, "Methodologies for the Synthesis of Unnatural Amino Acids"
- November 12, 2009, Dr. Elon Ison, North Carolina State University, "Undergraduate and Graduate Research Opportunities at NCSU Dept. of Chemistry"
- November 9, 2009, Dr. Michael Best,
University of Tennessee, "Chemical Approaches to the Investigation of
Protein-Membrane Binding Interactions using Synthetic Lipid Probes"
- October 26, 2009, Dr. Susanna F. Greer, Georgia State University, "Transcriptional Regulation of the Adaptive Immune Response"
- September 28, 2009, Dr. Paul Meyers,
Hazard Specialist, Product Stewardship and Regulatory Affairs, with
CYTEC Industries, Inc., " Product Stewardship and Regulatory Affairs in
the Chemical Industry"
- April 23, 2009, Dr. Sayad Hassan,
Associate Research Scientist and Director, Laboratory for Environmental
Analysis, Department of Crop and Soil Sciences, University of Georgia,
"Chemical Aspects of Using Iron Catalysis in Environmental Remediation"
- February 26, 2009, Dr. Silas C. Blackstock, Professor of Chemistry, University of Alabama, "Designing Molecular Information Storage Materials - One Molecule, One Bit"
- March 26, 2009, Dr. Angus Wilkinson, Professor of Chemistry, Georgia Tech
- January 29, 2009, Dr. Gregory Dudley,
Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Florida State
University, "Organic Synthesis and Methodology, Inspired by Natural
If you are interested in attending any of the guest presentations, write email@example.com for more information.