Chapter Minutes - African American Chapter
June 21, 2007
Minutes for Executive Committee Conference Call on 6/21/07
Agenda 8:30 pm
Participating Members: Jennifer Williams, Terri Earls, Juanita Scurry and Evelyn Hamilton.
1. Updates from Juanita
a. Account update: The account details and statements have been secured from the previous treasurer. We’ve lost a lot of money to monthly account fees. Juanita will meet Jennifer in Macon to give her the books. Jennifer will contact Ronda Mills to find out the details of how to get her name transferred to the books. Jennifer will also research the best option for us to hold our money i.e. Savings Account or the possibility of Free Checking
b. General letter to fellow alumni: Juanita read a letter to send out to fellow alumni. The letter’s contents were approved. We will solicit the help of the Berry Alumni Office for help sending out this first letter. Juanita is aiming for a July 10th deadline for dispersal. We will use the list from the Alumni office to send out the first mailing. It was suggested we ask fellow alumni to update their contact information with one of the officers when we send out the 1st letter. Juanita will be the collector of info. to help Meleisa update her records.
c. Miscellaneous: Juanita is in the process of setting up a meeting with Rufus Massey of the Office of Advancement. Mr. Massey is the Assistant Vice President of Alumni Development and Historic Berry. The outcome of this meeting will be discussed at our next Exec. Comm. Meeting.
2. Review Proposal
a. Assign task and follow up date for meeting/conference call
Proposed Berry College Black Student Alumni Fundraising Event
-Marketing – post cards, e-blast, etc.- Terri will work on this committee. She will look into seeing if some type of announcement can be added to our Alumni Page to announce our Mtn. Day event/meeting. Once the directory is updated we will check on other ideas.
-Data Management– update directory and develop new directory employing the assistance of the alumni office Juanita will work on this task.
-Event – Mountain Day event Evelyn will work on this event. She will contact Dr. Ford with the Multicultural Affairs office to solicit her help. Evelyn stated that she will also ask for help of other fellow alumni in the Rome area. Juanita inquired about In His Name perform at the banquet.
-Fundraising/ Budget – processes and disbursement revenue and expenses Jennifer will work on this committee.
o June – update the directory, dev. marketing
o July – Communication to group
o August – Collect Funds
o September – Finalize disbursement
o October – Mt. Day Presentation
Some adjustments were made to the timeline. We agree that these changes will cause us to work diligently, but the benefits will be well worth it.
New Time Line
o June/Mid July – update the directory, dev. marketing
o Mid July – Communication to group
o Mid August – 2nd Communication to group/Collect Funds
o September – Collect Funds/ Finalize disbursement by Mid September
o October – Mt. Day Presentation
o Each Alumni gives according to his/her graduation year (ex. Graduated in 1989 = a gift of $19.89)
o 50% alumni participation = 200+ people
o Average gift = $19.00, Total gift = $3800.00
This idea was approved. We will ask for this donation when we solicit funds in our 2nd letter. We will let Jennifer decide where she wants money sent: her home or P.O. box. If a P.O. box is necessary we will look into securing one.
3. Scholarship Essay: Juanita will pass scholarship info along to Shalise Poteete to help her get started on a rubric and criteria. Juanita found some information already drafted in a notebook belonging to BAAAC that was being safe kept by our previous treasurer, Rhonda Mills. Thank you Rhonda for excellent record keeping. Shalise will be asked to join us at the next meeting to give us preliminary specs.
4. Miscellaneous Questions and Concerns:
*Evelyn inquired about dues for membership. Bylaws state the Executive Committee has the authority to set an amount. The participants were asked to think of an amount for our next Exec. Committee Mtg.
* Juanita asked if officers would be kind enough to donate $10 to help defray the cost of the 2nd mailing.
*What do we do about people wanting to give large sums once we ask for larger ones? Do we have non-profit status since we don’t filter our money through Berry?
* The next meeting date will tentatively held on Saturday, July 21st at the ABC on S. Cobb Drive. Reports will be given on the tasks assigned.
Conference Call was concluded at 9:36pm.