New Student Orientation
The Berry College orientation program for incoming freshmen and transfer students is a two-part process. The first part is SOAR (June 2013) and the second part is Viking Venture (August 21-25, 2013). It is designed to assist
incoming freshmen, transfers, and their families with the transition into the Berry community. The cost is $135 and will be included on your fall tuition statement which you will receive at SOAR.
Registration for one of the five SOAR sessions (see
SOAR Dates) is available via your Viking Web account beginning March 15, 2013. All SOAR sessions are the same. There is no advantage to attending an early session. All new student schedules are made in May.
What Happens at SOAR?
Student Orientation Advising and Registration welcomes new freshmen and transfer students, and hopefully answers many important questions. During SOAR you and your parents:
- Meet your academic advisor and receive your fall class schedule
- Meet your work supervisor and learn about your first Berry College job
- Receive your housing assignment for Fall 2013
- Receive your Berry College email address and post office box
- Meet 119 other new students
- Meet 17 exceptional SOAR Leaders who want to help you transition to Berry
- Spend a night on campus in a residence hall
Both the 2013 SOAR Student Schedule and the 2013 SOAR Parent Schedule are posted in the right hand column of this page. Parents are responsible for arranging their own accommodations. (See
What do I need to bring to SOAR?
- Your current health insurance card or a copy of it
- Any of the required health forms that have been completed (some can be sent on-line and some require physician's signature)
- If you plan to participate in the Student Work Program, you will need one of the following:
- an unexpired state-issued ID (driver's license) and original Social Security card (no copies) OR
- an unexpired state-issued ID (driver's license) and a certified copy of your birth certificate OR
- a valid, unexpired passport
What is Viking Venture?
Viking Venture is a continuation of the orientation activities at SOAR taking place prior to the beginning of fall semester (August 21-25, 2013).
- All new freshmen and transfers taking BCC 100 are required to participate
- Provides resources to assist with the transition to Berry College
- Connect with new peers, faculty, and staff
- First-year and transfer seminar course (BCC100) begins August 22 and is coordinated by the Office of First Year Experience
- Each BCC class is coordinated by a faculty or staff member along with a first-year mentor, an upperclass student that will assist their class members as they transition into college and the Berry community
- International students are invited to attend a special orientation program that will begin the Tuesday before classes begin (August 20, 2013)
The Associate Vice President for Student Affairs is responsible for planning, evaluating, and administering new student orientation programs at Berry College with the help of the Head SOAR Leader. Contact: Julie Bumpus, Associate Vice President for
Student Affairs, (706-236-2207) or email