The Resident Assistant Application Process begins when applications become available in January of each year. Typically the process concludes in early February. Several information sessions will be held late in the Fall semester.
The Resident Assistant will serve as a member of the Dean of Students' staff in the Department of Residence Life and will report to their Head Resident and be directly accountable to the Coordinators of Residence Life.
His/her various responsibilities include assisting the Coordinators of Residence Life with advising, programming, discipline, administration and the general operation of the hall. His/her specific duties include the following:
- Knows each resident on his/her floor well enough to recognize individual needs, attitudes and behavior patterns
- Is especially sensitive to transition problems for new students
- Knows where students can go for help and is effective in referring students to the appropriate individual office
- Is available for casual contacts with students on the hall on a regular basis
- Encourage students to develop effective study habits
- Disseminates information through appropriate media in the hall
- Additionally, searches out information to post in the hall
- Encourages the cultivation of friendships among students
- Helps students develop respect for each others' rights, freedoms and property
- Encourages residents to attend campus programs and to get involved with college organizations
- Encourages faculty and staff to visit their floor to meet informally with students
- The RA will be required to assess, develop, implement, evaluate and support hall activities
- Implements social and educational programs throughout the year
- Knows college and residence hall regulations/procedures
- Knows the rationale for college and hall regulations/procedures
- Assists students in knowing what is expected of them by explaining the reasons for regulations/procedures
- Sets an example by adhering to college regulations/procedures
- Encourages residents to confront others when regulations, rights or freedoms are disregarded
- Knows college disciplinary policy and procedures
- Performs such other duties as may be requested by the Director
- The RA will explain his/her function and residence hall regulations to floor residents the first week of each semester. (This may be done on an individual basis or at floor/wing meetings, etc.)
- The RA will be familiar with procedures for contacting appropriate emergency personnel (i.e. security, student health center, ambulance service, etc.)
- RA's are to report to their halls before the date the residence halls open following all vacation periods. RA's are to remain until their floor is vacated and/or clearance is received from the Director, Assistant Director or Head Resident.
- The RA should have knowledge of support services; i.e. student activities office, counseling center, financial aid, career development, chaplain's office, etc.
- RA's will follow-up on maintenance requests and refer the work requests to their head resident
- RA's are to observe custodians and make sure they are performing properly and to assist their head resident in making reports to the Physical Plant
- The RA is responsible for working with residents to keep residence hall areas clean.
- RA's are responsible for room inventory card system on the floor.