Roy Richards Gymnasium
Students constructed the Memorial Gymnasium in 1937. The building was the gift of a prominent and generous donor in memory of her mother. Visiting the school with friends, she observed a gymnastics class in the old Pentecost Gymnasium, which had been built in 1911. She became inspired to make a gift of $50,000 for a new gymnasium when she saw boys performing gymnastic feats without shoes and in bib overalls. Before her visit ended, she presented the check to Martha Berry.
In 1986, the Roy Richards estate gave more than $700,000 toward the renovation of the facility, which was renamed the Roy Richards Memorial Gymnasium. Mr. Richards, a Berry alumnus and college trustee emeritus, founded the Southwire Corp. in Carrolton, Ga. The building is now used for student publications.