Academics Abroad

Left Nav


If you are planning to use your Berry financial aid on a semester study abroad program, you must have been approved to study abroad on a Berry-approved program, registered at Berry during your study abroad semester, and attend all orientations. During pre-registration the semester prior to departure, International Experiences will authorize approved students to register for STA 305. Ask your academic adviser to clear you so you can register. Once registered, your course load will be listed at 12 hours. Do not worry if you will actually be taking more than 12 hours - once Berry receives your transcript, the Registrar will list the exact course names and credit hours you earned onto Viking Web. If you complete more than 18 credit hours, you will be charged an overload for each hour above 18. If you are unsure of the number of credits you will receive on the program, contact International Experiences.

If planning to study abroad in transient status, Berry institutional aid will not apply to your study abroad program, and you will pay the program directly. You will need to complete a transient form with all required signatures before leaving campus. Be sure to consult the Berry catalog on major/minor requirements - a specific number of upper-level hours in the major and minor must be completed in residence. If you have loans, consult your lending institution for their policies if you are not attending Berry that semester.

Students must have host institution courses approved by Berry College department Chairs, school Deans, and in some cases the Provost before studying abroad. Students studying abroad through Berry complete the course substitution form, which you receive from Berry Abroad. Students studying abroad transient receive the transient form instead of the course substitution form. If your schedule changes when you arrive to your host country, email the department the description of the new course to ask for the Berry equivalency. Specific approvals for these new courses are not guaranteed.


The Registrar sends newsletters about pre-registration. After selecting courses, you must contact your academic adviser to discuss your selection. You may register online as soon as registration opens; however, your adviser still needs to clear you before you can register. If you are studying abroad in the spring and plan to register for a summer class, be sure you have been cleared for summer and fall. When thinking about which Berry courses to take, consider those that might build upon your study abroad experience. Have you developed new interests and skills that Berry classes might help to enhance?


Transcripts from study abroad sites take longer to receive than Berry College transcripts -- six weeks or longer is not unusual. Berry requires that students complete 80% of attempted credit hours per semester. If your transcript is not available by the time Financial Aid calculates this, Berry has no evidence of completed hours. Students for whom no transcript is yet available will receive a notice from Financial Aid, reminding the student of the need to complete the 80% in order to maintain satisfactory progress and eligibility for financial aid. Financial Aid and the Registrar’s office have lists of current study abroad students so they are aware of students’ situations, and students’ financial aid is not in jeopardy as long as they have maintained eligibility.

If you are in a situation where you need your grades quickly, you must make arrangements with your host institution before you leave for the transcript to be sent to Berry College earlier. Remember you are working under the procedures of the host institution, so even if you request, they might be unable to accommodate you.

Once your transcript has been evaluated here at Berry and is put into Viking Web, be sure to confirm that the classes you took fulfill the requirements you had originally indicated on your course substitution form. This can be done by reviewing your advising worksheet on Viking Web. If there is a discrepancy or you completed a course abroad that was not indicated on your substitution form, complete the post-STA substitution form. It is your responsibility to make sure the classes you took abroad appropriately fulfill the Berry requirements.

 Back to Top

Footer Menu