Summer Study Abroad

Students who wish to participate in a Berry College Short-Term International Program (SIP), led by Berry faculty, should meet with the faculty director for information and requirements. Students will register for these courses (up to two on one program) during spring pre-registration for summer session. A list of summer programs is announced every fall, and International Programs scholarships are usually offered.  Any orientation activities will be organized by the faculty director. Currently there is no GPA minimum for SIPs; however, students may not study abroad if they are on disciplinary probation anytime during the process of application through the end date of the program.

Any student interested in studying, interning or doing service learning abroad independently (that is, not on a SIP) should complete & submit the three forms on the IP page on the "Community" tab of  Viking Web and then call 706-233-4065 to schedule an advising session with the International Programs Director.  To study abroad independently, students must have a minimum 2.5 GPA and not be on disciplinary probation anytime during the application process through the end date of the program.  There are two ways to earn credit on an independent summer program:

1. Eligible students may apply to any summer program in transient status and work directly with the program to pay fees, etc.  Note that no financial aid, including HOPE and IP scholarships, may be applied to a transient summer program. Students should be aware that transient credit is not considered "in residence" and be familiar with Berry's  "Major and Minor Requirements."  Students studying as transient should submit the original, completed transient form with course descriptions to the Registrar's office by April 1.  

2. Students wishing to study on approved programs may enroll through Berry to study abroad.  Students should take this route if they need "in residence" credit or wish to apply an International Programs scholarship and/or HOPE (if taking at least 6 hours).  They register for STA 305 during spring pre-registration for summer session (see How to Register). Students will pay Berry tuition, program housing and meals, and any difference if the program's tuition exceeds Berry's. Be sure you know the cost of tuition before applying for an IP scholarship so you know whether it is more economical for you to study as a transient or a Berry student. (Studying through Berry even with the scholarship could still be more expensive than studying directly on the program as a transient student.) 

If studying through Berry rather than as a transient, the following documents must be submitted to International Programs by April 1: 
1. course substitution form with course descriptions
2. waiver of liability
Please note students must apply to have HOPE in the summer; it will not automatically apply even though the student is eligible.

All students applying for a summer program must complete the IP pre-departure orientation, an emergency contact sheet and purchase study abroad insurance coverage.  If your program does not include this insurance, IP will order this for you and charge your student account.  Please note that summer programs are usually out of pocket, as students generally have little financial aid remaining from the previous fall and spring. Contact the financial aid office to confirm any balance. 

Financial aid, including tuition remission, may be used toward only one study abroad experience.  For information on how to study abroad for a semester, click here