Pool Battleship Rules
Players and Equipment
- Eligibility - See Intramural Handbook
- Teams are Coed. Each team is required to have four people in the canoe. No more, no less. Any less than four players will be considered a forfeit due to an unfair advantage of weight difference in the canoe.
- Attire: Wearing proper swim wear will be enforced with exceptions below. Participants may wear t-shirts or any athletic clothing instead of, or wear over bathing suits. Boat shoes and or sandals are permitted and recommended; tennis shoes and boots are prohibited. Goggles are strongly recommended, but not mandatory.
- Life jackets will be made available, but will not be mandatory to wear. *Lifeguards will be on duty*
- Canoes will also be provided by the intramural and outdoor rec staff.
- BYOB: Bring your own bucket. Buckets are anything that holds water to aid in sinking an opponent’s boat.
- A shield will be provided by staff to each boat. One shield per boat.
- There will be a maximum of four canoes in the pool at a time. Each set of four canoes will participate in a five minute heat. The winner from each heat will move on in the tournament.
- Objective: to sink the other canoes before you are sunk.
- Moving toward or away from other canoes is done with hands or buckets. NO paddles are allowed.
- As boats become sunk the area of play will become restricted based upon intramural staff.
- A sunken ship is a canoe that is completely immersed under water and is no longer floating on top of the water.
- Once your ship has been sunk, your team must unload and head toward the loading zone.
Fouls and Penalties
- Teams may not:
- Throw water from inside of your boat into the pool or into another boat (bail water)
- Standing in the boat
- Physically touch another team’s boat or a participant from another team
- Take an item from another team
The penalty for violating each of these restrictions is an immediate stoppage of play by only the team committing the violation. Each team member must also fill their item up with water from outside their boat and immediately dump it into their boat TWICE.
The next offense is immediate disqualification.