Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I start my educational benefits? 

A: For information about the types of educational benefits for which you may qualify, check out the Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits ( website or call the toll-free VA Education Phone number: 1-888-GI-BILL1. You will need to bring a copy of your Letter of Eligibility from the VA to the Registrar’s Office before Berry can certify your enrollment for benefits.

Q: How long does it take to begin receiving benefits after they have been initiated? 

A: New applicants should expect to receive their first check 8–12 weeks from the time the enrollment certification is sent. You will be paid retroactively from the first day of class. Continuing students should receive checks more quickly, provided there have not been any changes to your program. It is imperative that you notify the Registrar’s Office at Berry College about any changes that would affect your benefits.

Q: Am I still eligible to receive financial aid if I am receiving VA educational benefits? 

A: Yes! You are eligible to apply for financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid office for information.

Q: Are my VA educational benefits taxable? 

A: No, any Veterans' benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Q: How do I verify my monthly enrollment for educational benefits? 

A: Everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and REAP (Chapter 1607), must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the  Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE)  or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

Q: Are there any academic standards I must maintain to keep my VA educational benefits? 

A: Students must adhere to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy of the College. Students lose VA benefits when they are academically suspended and on SAP suspension. The VA will not pay benefits for courses where non-punitive, “W” “WF” “NC” “UN”, grades are assigned except where mitigating circumstances exist; contact the VA for more information.

Q: Do I have to attend full-time to receive my educational benefits? 

A: No, but the amount of benefits you receive is directly proportional to the number of credits you take with the exception of chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill. 

Q: How do I find out if I have any benefits left? 

A: Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551

Q: Who do I contact if I have questions concerning my veteran benefit payments, such as direct deposit, payment amounts, etc.? 

A: Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-GI-BILL1 (1-888-442-4551) or visit the Department of Veteran Affairs online.

Q: Who do I contact at Berry if I have questions about VA Certification? 

A: Contact the Registrar’s Office at 706-236-2282 or at