Opportunities Within The Major
As students advance in the major, many earn the opportunity to work one-on-one with professors in Directed Study and Writer's Tutorial courses. Here are some of the projects students have worked on in the past:
- a study of the Beat poets and their cultural influences
- a study of 20th-century American immigrant women’s autobiographies
- a study of contemporary critical theory
- tutorial in advanced writing for online environments
- tutorial in advanced poetry writing
- tutorial in play writing
Another great way to get involved as an English major is to work in the Writing Center. The Writing Center serves the students of Berry College in many ways. When students desire help in the writing process, they go see a writing tutor. These tutors work with students to help them move from “writerly” drafts (in which they invent, develop, and organize their ideas) to “readerly” drafts (in which they signpost and edit their ideas for real readers). The Writing Center also offers a Writing Associate Program. A Writing Associate is a senior tutor who is placed with a particular professor and assists students within a Writing Intensive-designated class to develop better drafts for assigned papers.
Some students receive internship positions around Rome, in Atlanta, or elsewhere in the United States during the summer or academic school year. A sample of these current and recent internship opportunities are listed below:
- Havana Cigars (Rome, Ga) - Electronic Newsletters and Brochures
- Vini, Vidi, Vici Magazine (Rome, Ga) - Writer
- Rome Area Council for the Arts
- Creative Loafing, an Atlanta area arts & music weekly - Writer
After senior year, many students choose to continue their education by attending various graduate schools throughout the country. For more information about graduate school programs attended by Berry English majors, click here. Other opportunities include fellowships and travel abroad experiences.
Do you have news to share about your accomplishments after graduating from Berry? We'd love to hear from you. Please email us at email@example.com.