Berry College Alumni Council
March 13, 2010
Frances Richey-Goldby, President, called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone.
Carolyn Smith opened the meeting with a prayer.
Chris Watters, Director of Alumni Relations, reviewed the day’s events and meeting agenda for everyone. Chris also described the recent Krannert expansion:
- Two story addition – 5,000 square feet to each floor
- Increased seating capacity by 300 in the dining hall
- Increased seating capacity in the ballroom by 216
- A porch was added off of the ballroom
- Kilpatrick Commons, named for Hal (60c) and Suzi (60c) Kilpatrick, is to be completed in May and includes two levels of terrace, amphitheatre seating, a water feature, and foot bridge.
Frances presented the minutes from the November 2009 meeting for their approval. Martha Bowen made a motion for the minutes to be approved as distributed and it was seconded. The motion passed without opposition.
Barbara McCollum, President-Elect, gave the nominating committee report. Barbara made a motion to elect the following people to serve on the council for the 2010-2012 term:
Mr. Kevin D. Allen (96C)
Dr. David F. Slade (97C)
Mrs. Rebecca Browning Christopher (61C)
Mr. Mathew I. Warren (08C)
Mrs. Sandra Midkiff Cooper (60C)
Dr. J. Franklin Adams (54H, 58C)
Mr. Jim Lewis Hamrick (59H, 63C)
Mr. Larry D. Arrington (93C)
Ms. Francy Jessup Geiger (78C)
Mr. John A. Shahan (64H, 69C)
Mr. Robert H. Williams (62H)
Barbara also made a motion to elect the follow people to serve as vice presidents:
Mr. Haron W. Wise (57H) – Vice President of Alumni Events
Ms. Allyson G. Chambers (80C, 84G) – Vice President of Heritage
Mr. Jeffery D. Palmer (09C) – Vice President of Young Alumni & Student Relations
Martha Bowen seconded Barbara’s motion. The motion passed without opposition.
Bart Cox, Parliamentarian, presented proposed changes to the constitution and bylaws on behalf of the constitution and bylaws committee.
- Constitution, Article Five, Section Two, Number Two– Change that if the President of a recognized affiliate organization cannot attend they can designate another officer to attend without voting privileges (previously read member)
- Constitution, Article Five, Section Two, Number Three – Delete “In addition, twenty Alumni to will be elected…”, and delete the comma after “…Council for terms of two years, and may be reelected)
- Constitution, Article Five, Section Two, Number Four – Add “The” to the beginning of the second sentence
- Constitution, Article Five, Section Two, Number Five – Remove “the president of the student Alumni Association” because it no longer exists. In the second sentence add “a” after “…members will have”
- Constitution, Article Five, Section Two, Number Six – Delete “through 2007” and add “by the current president” after invited
- Constitution, Article Five, Section Two, Number Seven – delete the comma after Executive Committee
- Bylaws, Article One, Section Two: delete the comma after Association in the second line
- Bylaws, Article Two, Section One: delete the comma after college in the last line
- Bylaws, Article Two, Section Two: delete the comma after president in the first line
- Bylaws, Article Three, Section Four: Remove may from last sentence, add Alumni Weekend before Alumni Work Week, remove and before Mountain Day, and add other events as designated after Mountain Day
Lewis moved that the changes be accepted as presented. There was a second and the motion passed without opposition.
Lewis Copeland gave a special report to the council on behalf of the Work Week Committee. Alumni Work Week has donated $10,000 to the Berry student work program from the Work Week Fund. In addition Work Week will cover the payroll costs for students who work during Work Week 2010 – not to exceed $4,000.
Chris Watters announced that two student work positions have been named in honor of Alumni Work Week: Cottages Manager and Facilities Manager, both level 5 positions.
Berry’s Financial State
Scott Shank, Assistant Vice President for Finance, presented a look at Berry’s budget and how things are looking for the future.
Campaign Planning Update
Scott Breithaupt , Assistant Vice President of Advancement, gave an update on where the college was in planning for a next large campaign.
Alumni Interest Groups
Chris Watters presented a new concept to the council of Alumni Interest Groups. The reason for the new concept: the groups were already meeting on their own and the alumni relations office wants to raise awareness of them and offer them support.
Examples of interest groups already meeting:
- High School and Academy breakfast
Definition of an Interest Group:
- Self formed
- Connects and brings together alumni
- Group of alumni who network or do activities together
- Self supported and managed
- Not an official affiliate organization
Tips for forming an Interest Group:
- Establish a clear definition and purpose
- Define a target audience
- Find other alumni with the same interest
- Determine how the group will be managed and coordinated
- Define holes within the group
- Determine how cost associated will be funded
- Contact the alumni relations office – specifically Brenda Jenkins
Services Available from the Alumni Relations Office – Presented by Brenda Jenkins
- One time communication to a select group
- Group listed on the alumni webpage
- List of scheduled events on the alumni webpage
- Event announcements in the Alumni Accent
- Announcements at alumni and Berry events
- Faculty and staff visits to group events
- Use of Berry facilities
Closing Business Session
Awards Committee, Clara McRae
- Ron Thornton presented an analysis of awards given, one finding is that more men have received awards than women
- Working to continue to get more nominations
- Should we continue to ask for letters of recommendation?
- Motion to give honorary alumni status to Martin Goldberg, the motion passed without opposition
Events Committee, Harry Wise
- Plan drafted for awards and golden guard event for Alumni Weekend, have a very nice event planned
- Naming opportunity for two student work positions
- Additional recognition for golden guard members at other events
- New name badges for alumni work week
Work Week Committee, Lewis Copeland
- 30 projects planned
- Appointed crew chiefs for each project
- Now just need people to help!
Heritage Committee, Ouida Dickey reporting for Allyson Chambers
- Berry Trails book – identified what needed to be updated
- Work on the faculty database – use two or three people from work week
- Studying Martha Berry’s gravesite and the consultant’s report – the committee will make a recommendation in May about what needs to be done
- The committee is also looking at the plantings around the chapel
Financial Support Committee, Larry Eidson
- Discussed participation rate of the alumni council – 57% participation – please make your gift
- New ways of giving will be available soon – mobile and recurring
- Participation rate is very important when people, corporations, and foundations are looking to give larges gifts to the College
Young Alumni and Student Relations, Drew Landis
- New online and mobile giving options coming soon
- Young Alumni Challenge – increase young alumni giving to 23%
- Created a new Young Alumni Advisory Board that will meet for the first time April 17
Chris Watters thanked everyone for their hard work. On campus housing during Work Week will be in Morgan and Deerfield Residence Halls.
Barbara McCollum announced the dates for next year’s meetings – please mark your calendar
August 28, 2010
November 6, 2010
March 26, 2011
Annual Meeting – May 21, 2011
Frances Richey-Goldby reminded everyone of the annual meeting coming up on May 22. We need good representation from the council so please try to come. The meeting starts at 10:30 with coffee at 9:45. Frances also thanked the alumni staff, Chris, and the students for all of their hard work! Frances also thanked Carolyn for serving as Chaplain.
Larry McRae closed the meeting with a prayer.