Frequently Asked Questions

Residence Life

Do you have residency requirements? 
Berry College is a residential college and students are expected to live on-campus unless given permission to do otherwise. This housing contract is binding for the entire academic year and may not be terminated by the student.

Students who meet any of the following criteria may apply to live off campus: 1) 25 years old; 2) Married; or 3) Residing with their parents or legal guardian within a 40 mile driving distance to Berry College. If a student feels they meet one of the above criteria, they must complete an Off Campus Application and be granted permission to move off-campus before they may do so.

Please note that requests to change status from on-campus to off-campus must be received and approved prior to the following dates:  

  • Fall Semester, one week before the beginning of classes.
  • Spring Semester, during the last week of Fall Semester classes.
  • Mid-semester changes in status will not be approved.

Students enrolled in classes and not approved to live off-campus will be assigned an on-campus space at the discretion of the Office of Residence Life.

May I see my room before the move in date?
Residence hall rooms are not available to see before August. Many of our halls are used either for summer school or camps and conference groups during most of the summer months. After these groups leave, our housekeeping staff needs time to prepare the halls for your arrival.

When can I move in? 
The official move-in date for freshmen is the Wednesday before classes begin. Transfer students can move in beginning on the Friday before classes begin. Returning students may move in on the Saturday before classes begin.

What furniture is provided in my room?
Each resident will have a bed (twin extra long), chest of drawers, closet/wardrobe, desk, and chair. Each room is also equipped with one telephone jack; we encourage students to bring a telephone.

Are students allowed to build loft beds?
No. See Berry College Loft Program. Rooms in Dana Hall and Pilgrim are equipped furniture that can be lofted using the furniture provided in the room, are not suitable for third party lofts.

How can I change my room?
Room changes will begin two weeks into the semester. To change your room, complete a Room Change form obtained from your Resident Assistant. Complete the form and turn it in to the Office of Residence Life and schedule a time to meet with Lindsey Taylor.

Are telephones provided?
No, however telephones are available in halls and common areas.

Will I have cable television access and an Ethernet connection?
Yes, and yes. Cable Television is provided; one jack per room. Each student has an Ethernet port for their computer for connection to the Internet. Internet service and E-mail are provided by  Computing & Technology.

What is a Resident Assistant (RA)?
An RA is a fellow student trained to develop community among the residents of a hall. RAs report to the Coordinators of Residence Life (see the Staff Directory).

Are laundry facilities provided?
Washers and dryers are provided in each residence area. Laundry is now included in student fees and do not require any quarters for operation.

Does my room have curtains or blinds?
All residence hall buildings have window blinds.

Do I need to move out during breaks?
Residence hall facilities are not open during Thanksgiving Break and winter break (the break between fall and spring semesters). Residents may leave their personal belongings (at their own risk) in the rooms during these breaks.

Is my room damage deposit refundable?
The damage deposit is a one time fee paid when the student initially applies to live on campus. The room reservation/damage deposit is not a payment to be applied to residence halls charges but will remain on deposit with the college to be refunded, provided the students’ account with the college is cleared, upon graduation. Room damages will be charged to the student’s account. Damage to community property will be the sole responsibility of all students in that area.

When will I find out my room assignment and roommate?
New students will be notified of their room assignment and given contact information for their roommate(s) when they attend a summer SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration) Session during June.

How can I find out more information or ask specific questions?
First, see if you can find the answers to your questions in the Housing Contract or the Viking Code. Last, but certainly not least, feel free to E-mail us with your questions:

Can I hang pictures, posters, etc. on the wall?
Yes. We recommend using products that will not leave a residue such as 3M pull tab strips or painters tape.

Where can I find out more information on the meal plan?
Please visit Dining Service's website or call their office at 706-236-1701.

Can I bring my pet?
Fish are the only pets allowed. Aquariums are limited to 20 gallons and must be well maintained. During Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks all electrical appliances (including aquarium equipment) must be disconnected.

What are the visitation hours?
Visitation hours as follows: 
Sunday - Thursday .......... 10:00 am - 1:00 am 
Friday & Saturday ........... 10:00 am - 2:00 am

What type of security exists in the residence halls?
Security begins at the gatehouse, where visitors are screened after sunset. All our residence halls are on a card access system that works with the student's ID card. All Residential Halls are locked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.