Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Satisfactory Academic Progress Questions

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?
SAP is a set of federal regulations that requires students to demonstrate they are moving through their academic program at a reasonable pace and "making progress" toward their degree. Berry College’s SAP policy is located in the college catalog.

Will I lose my financial aid if I fail to maintain SAP?
The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is determined at the end of the every spring semester. A student who is not maintaining SAP is placed on Financial Aid Suspension due to not meeting SAP standards is ineligible for all types of financial assistance. Exceptions may be granted for extenuating circumstances beyond the student's control. However, the student must have circumstances that are documented and must submit specific, required information for a SAP Committee Review. 

Can I appeal if I am ineligible for financial aid for failing to maintain SAP?
Yes, you can appeal if you have extenuating circumstances that have contributed to your failure to maintain good standing. Documented medical reasons, serious illness, or death of a family member are examples that may be considered in an appeal. Please be sure to speak to a financial aid counselor for further guidance.

What happens to my financial aid status if I drop or completely withdraw from school?
If you have already received your grant monies and drop hours which change your enrollment status, you will be required to repay certain grants. If you completely withdraw from Berry College before the 61st percentile of the semester, you will be required to repay a percentage of the financial aid that you have received for the semester to the U.S. Department of Education. In addition, you may owe the college additional funds that were initially credited to your account but have now been returned to the federal government by the institution.

CAUTION: If you are a financial aid recipient and are thinking about dropping hours, withdrawing from any classes or completely withdrawing from the college, please consult with a financial aid counselor. This can have a negative impact on your SAP status.